MODERATOR OPENING REMARKS
WELCOME: UNLOCKING THE TRILLIONS: INVESTING IN A LOW CARBON FUTURE
- Overview of the scale of opportunity
- Building sustainable, resilient economies
Invited: Representative of the Government of Spain
Kristalina Georgieva, CEO, World Bank
KEYNOTE DIALOGUE: UNLOCKING THE TRILLIONS FROM THE PARIS AGREEMENT
Invited: Patricia Espinosa, Executive Director, UNFCCC
SCALING UP CLIMATE ACTION: TURNING NDCS INTO INVESTMENT PLANS
Innovative public-private partnerships are required to accelerate climate action. How can NDCs guide investors toward the right projects; what regulatory frameworks are needed to spur this investment?
- Building resilient, sustainable economies
- Financing climate adaptation
- Baking climate action into development plans of every city and country
MOBILIZING THE PRIVATE SECTOR FOR GREEN SOLUTIONS
Private firms will play an integral role in leading the green economic revolution. This panel showcases innovative models for climate-smart investing in emerging markets, exploring new models for climate finance solutions and ways to scale of the private sector investment for greater impact.
- Innovative business models
- Climate finance solutions
- Necessary policy frameworks for scale-up
Moderator: Alzbeta Klein, Director, IFC Climate Business
INNOVATOR INSIGHT: INNOVATIVE THINKING FOR CLIMATE ACTION
GREENING THE TRILLIONS: A ROADMAP FOR TRANSFORMING CAPITAL MARKETS
Mobilizing private funding for climate requires the proper assessment of climate risks and opportunities. Progress has been made in the last two years to create a roadmap for greening the finance sector; the challenge now is to accelerate implementation. Leaders in ESG and climate risk highlight next steps.
- Engaging asset owners and shareholders in the importance of low carbon investment; moving from voluntary to compulsory disclosure
- New tools and frameworks to facilitate action for institutional investors, including ESG products, new sustainable asset class
- Clearly defining climate metrics based on science
- Scaling and replicating green bond success
INNOVATOR INSIGHT: THE FUTURE OF GREEN BONDS
Sean Kidney, Founder and Chairman, Climate Bonds Initiative
INNOVATOR INSIGHT: FIRST PRIVATE CLIMATE RESILIENCE FUND
Jay Koh, Managing Director, Lightsmith Group
UNLOCKING THE NEXT WAVE OF INVESTORS
This panel facilitates a public private dialogue on how to maximize government-provided funds and spur early investment in new climate technology and businesses, particularly for adaptation and resilience-related projects;
- Building commercially viable, scalable business models
- Global solutions to support local entrepreneurship
MODERATOR'S CLOSING REMARKS
KEYNOTE INTERVIEW: NEW MARKETS FOR CLIMATE ACTION
- Establishing successful markets for low carbon growth
- International collaboration for increased investment
Invited: Christiana Figueres, Global Climate Leader, World Bank
CARBON PRICING FOR CLIMATE ACTION: SUB-NATIONAL, NATIONAL AND CORPORATE INITIATIVES
Much of the action on carbon pricing is taking place at the subnational level and below- reaching into the transportation sector and executive offices of major corporations. This panel will focus in on local and national level implementation and future developments of carbon pricing.
- Identifying the sectors with the greatest opportunities using carbon pricing to decarbonize
- Empowering cities, sub-national and national jurisdictions for carbon markets
- Engaging the private sector in transforming operations
UNLOCKING THE TRILLION DOLLAR GLOBAL CARBON MARKET
A new generation of market mechanisms promise to refocus and re-energize carbon markets. We take a visionary look at the short-term and long-term future of the markets.
- The potential of Article 6 on accelerating action
- Networking regional and national carbon markets
- Private sector leadership in market engagement
- Innovation in financial technology and metrics to link markets
BLOCKCHAIN AND BEYOND: NEW TECHNOLOGIES FOR THE POST-2020 MARKETS
New financial technology products and services promise to modernize GHG data collection, processing and transaction registries for the next generation of carbon markets. This session will focus on the innovative use of blockchain tech in sustainable supply chains and energy microgrids; as well as new products to enable linkages and tradability between markets.
ROLE OF CARBON MARKETS IN ACHIEVING AVIATION'S CARBON NEUTRAL GROWTH STRATEGY
International air traffic is currently responsible for approximately 1.3% of global GHG emissions, and its anticipated growth could bring it closer to 5% by 2050. Agreed at the 39th ICAO Assembly, The Carbon Offsetting and Reduction Scheme for International Aviation (CORSIA) creates demand for carbon credits along with requirements by member states for technical implementation. This session will look at how Carbon Markets, market players and institutions can help the aviation sector achieving this Carbon Neutral Growth goal and what are the key challenges to look for in its implementation.
INNOVATOR INSIGHT: INVESTING IN DISRUPTIVE INNOVATION
BUILDING A COMMON VISION TO TRANSFORM ENERGY SYSTEMS
The Paris Agreement requires the near complete decarbonisation of power generation over the next three decades along with fundamental shift in our transport and energy efficiency systems. This panel of public and private sector energy experts will discuss the key issues and opportunities for this transformation to a 1.5C world.
- Accelerating the scale up of innovation in low carbon technologies, business models, processes, products and policy
- Collaborative global efforts for clean energy R&D and private investment
- Developing a viable roadmap for future transformation that can overcome short-term roadblocks